In Nikon’s effort to continue to add functionality, features and support to our Z series cameras, Nikon today has announced a major firmware update.
Improved Focus Tracking Functionality
- Subject-tracking AF can now be initiated via the Fn1 or Fn2 button on the camera or the Fn1 or Fn2 button on the lens.
- Subject tracking is started by pressing the AF-ON button or by pressing the shutter-release button halfway with AF-C (continuous-servo autofocus).
- Subject-tracking AF enabled in photo mode has been changed to more closely resemble that of the 3D-tracking option for digital SLR cameras.
Animal detection Autofocus
- Custom Setting a4 (Auto-area AF face/eye detection) adds dogs and cats to the subjects supported by face- and eye-detection autofocus. As a result, the camera can now detect and focus on the faces and eyes of dogs and cats. Animal face detection (but not eye detection) is also available in movie mode.
CFexpress additional brands added
- Added support for ProGrade and Lexar CFexpress memory cards (Type B).
NIKON Z6 Firmware 3.0
Nikon has also released a firmware update to the Z50:
- Added support for the focus limit switch available on certain Z mount lenses (as of February 12, 2020, only the NIKKOR Z 70–200mm f/2.8 VR S). The lens Fn2 button is not supported.
- Movie footage shot in self-portrait mode is now filmed using AF-F (full-time autofocus), regardless of the option selected for autofocus mode.
NIKON Z50 Firmware 1.10
Keep on capturing time…
Darrell Young is an active member of the Nikonians User Community, Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), and the author of 24 photography books from NikoniansPress and Picture and Pen Press, through Rocky Nook. You may review a few of Darrell’s Nikon books here. He has been an avid photographer since 1968 when his mother gave him a Brownie Hawkeye camera.
This website was created to support the readers of his educational books, photography students, and clients. Visitors to this website will find articles and reviews designed to inform, teach, and help you enjoy your photographic journey.
Copyright © 2019 Darrell Young, All Rights Reserved